Londoners know and love their steaks and have a long and illustrious history of doing so. Chop houses and Beef steak houses grew in popularity from the early 18th century onwards are an obvious precursor to the steakhouse London knows today. They were men-only domains and only started to admit women in the early decades of the 20th century. The tradutuibak steakhouse london was known for grew less popular by the 1960s and 70s. However Simpsons of Cornhill (frequented by Samuel Pepys and Charles Dickens) is still going strong.
The more exclusive beefsteak clubs, were havens for those in artistic, political, military and even Royal circles, to come together to enjoy steak. The first beef steak club was established in 1705 by Richard Estcourt, a well-known actor and there were a number of others formed across London . The Sublime Society of Beef Steaks was founded in 1735 by John Rich, manager at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane and its longevity and the fame of some of its members makes it the best known. (Samuel Johnson joined in 1780, as did the Prince of Wales in 1785.)
In Victorian times, interest in the Sublime Society of Beef Steaks dwindled and it was wound up in 1867. However, it was reformed in 1966 and has met continually since then. Lineal descendants of many of the original members are still members today and the originally blue and buff Regency uniform is worn whenever possible.